VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut bread into 3/4-in. slices; spread 12 slices with about 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Top with another 12 slices to form sandwiches. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1/4 cup sugar and salt; pour over sandwiches. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Chop 1 cup strawberries; place in a small bowl. Stir in amaretto or extract and remaining sugar. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Remove French toast from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Brush bread with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, slice remaining strawberries; stir into chilled strawberry mixture. Serve over French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry French Toast in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p170
Reviews forOvernight Strawberry French Toast
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review