Overnight Caramel French Toast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 slices bread
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with six slices of bread. Combine sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; sprinkle half over the bread. Place remaining bread on top. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 571 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 262mg cholesterol, 539mg sodium, 78g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Dec 25, 2017
this is an Amish recipe and published in an Amish cookbook (2007 p.35) I make this every Christmas morning
Dec 22, 2017
I started making this on Christmas morning about three years ago and now my kids expect it. It is delicious
Sep 1, 2017
made this in 2 smaller pans, first one was excellent the first morning and the second just about as good as leftovers reheated the next daydid throw in some raisins between the layers of breadwill make again
Dec 25, 2014
So yummy if you like custardy french toast! Would be wonderful with some chopped pecans sprinkled in the pan before adding the bread.
Jul 3, 2014
I use French bread n cook it a little longer so not mushy
Feb 6, 2014
Delicious old favourite.
Jan 2, 2013
It had good flavor but an overall mushy texture. I'd probably use the spices and caramel sauce but put the bread on a griddle.
Sep 23, 2012
The first time I made this recipe, I followed the recipe, and used texas toast, everyone loved it, I made it again recently, and thought I would try some of the advice that was written by the reviews to reduce the eggs and milk, it made it too dry, will go back to using all the eggs and milk. Family likes this recipe and it is so easy
Apr 8, 2012
Regular French toast is as quick and less soggy. The Carmel base is good but makes the toast to wet on the bottom. It might help to put each piece of bread on a cookie sheet for cooking. I believe this could make it more dry.
Jan 3, 2012
This was so good, and nice to prepare the night before and forget about it! I halved the recipe and used only one layer of bread, so used only 2 eggs and less milk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.