- 7 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups orange marmalade or 100% apricot spreadable fruit
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and salt; set aside. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Add orange peel; juice and vanilla. Add sifted flour mixture; mix well (batter will be thick). In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread marmalade evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOrange Sponge Cake Roll
"Absolutely delish! I used a strawberry glaze instead of the marmalade. This was easier than I thought for my first cake roll."