- 7 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups orange marmalade or apricot spreadable fruit
- Orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches), optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat the paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Stir in the orange peel, lemon juice and vanilla. Sift flour and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread marmalade evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with remaining confectioners' sugar. Garnish with orange peel strips if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOrange Sponge Cake Roll
"Absolutely delish! I used a strawberry glaze instead of the marmalade. This was easier than I thought for my first cake roll."