Orange-Ancho Spiced Nuts
Get ready for a flavor adventure. These nuts offer a tasty combination of orange, ancho chili pepper and chocolate. The pepper gives a smoky taste. Increase it to add more warmth.—Leigh Doutt, Pueblo West, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (10 ounces) deluxe mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- Preheat oven to 275°. In a large bowl, beat egg white and water until frothy. Add nuts; stir gently to coat. Combine the sugar, pie spice, orange zest and chili pepper; add to nut mixture and gently stir to coat.
- Spread into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Sprinkle with chips. Cool completely. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.