Clever little meatballs deliver the flavor and rich sauce of a traditional tamale in a bite-sized portion. They’re a delightfully different addition to a holiday spread. —Dolores Jaycox, Gretna, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min.
Makesabout 5-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-3/4 cups V8 juice, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- Tortilla chip scoops
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix cornmeal, flour, 3/4 cup V8 juice, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, garlic powder and cayenne. Add sausage; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a 15x10-in. pan. Bake until cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-qt. slow cooker, mix remaining V8 juice, chili powder, cumin and salt. Gently stir in meatballs. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, 3-4 hours. Serve with tortilla chip scoops.