Norwegian Christmas Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced citron or mixed candied fruit
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, egg, butter, salt, cardamom and 2 cups flour; mix well. Stir in raisins, citron and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to greased top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Shape each portion into a flattened ball. Place in two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 132 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 27, 2014
My mother made a bread like this every Christmas when growing up. When I lost her hand written recipe, I was glad to come across this one on-line. Always good toasted, though I tweak it to please my family that does not like the citron.
May 22, 2009
Ground cardamom is expensive, so to make it last longer store the jar in the freezer. We also add cardamom to plain old white bread & it makes the best toast for breakfast!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.