The dough for this traditional "Panettone" is conveniently made in a bread machine. Every tender, moist slice is filled with candied fruit and raisins.—Josephine Bianchi, Bristol, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 10 slices)
- 2/3 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the candied fruit and raisins.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 9-in. round loaf; place in a greased 9-in. springform pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan; cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 210 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Italian Fruit Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.