After tinkering with three different recipes, I came up with this warming rich, dark brown broth with hearty mushrooms, barley and onions. It’s a beefy tasting soup for my meat loving husband, completely vegan for me and healthy for both of us. It can simmer all day in a crock pot or be served up right after preparation.
Recommended: 30 Quick Easy Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; saute 3-4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Barley Soup in Reminisce August/September 2008, p48
Reviews forMushroom Onion Barley Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review