Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
Makesabout 7 dozen candies
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pound sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 -inch x 1-inch x 1/2-inch piece paraffin wax
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Styrofoam sheets
- In bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add coconut, milk, walnuts and vanilla; stir until blended. Chill until slightly firm; roll into walnut-sized balls. Insert a toothpick in each ball. Place balls on baking sheets; freeze. In double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate chips, chocolate squares and paraffin wax. Keep warm over hot water. Using picks as handles, dip frozen balls into chocolate mixture; stick picks upright into was paper-covered Styrofoam sheet. Chill until firm. Remove picks and package candy in individual paper liners. (May also be frozen.)
Nutrition Facts1 each: 111 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 16, 2019
Love these! I spread the coconut filling in a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, and I cut into bars after it's cold and dip the bars in chocolate instead of having to roll out all of those balls by hand. It's way faster. . .
Dec 24, 2014
Made these last yr they were great thanks for sharing
Dec 15, 2013
I just made this today. They look great and taste great! I got 45 balls out of the recipe! I'm going to drizzle white chocolate over the top yet to make them look extra special.
Nov 1, 2013
I am a volunteer TOH field editor and make these candies every year for Christmas! My husband and I team up to make them and they are finished in no time! They truly deserve the 5 star rating!
Dec 26, 2011
Our supper club got together to make these. They were simple and fun to make, as well as to eat, especially when you accompany it with a glass of chocolate flavored red wine! Add an almond and it tastes remarkably like an Almond Joy
Nov 24, 2011
I made this candy for a sale we had recently. It's the best. Sold every piece I made and recieved several orders for Thanksgiving. I think this is one of the best candies I have made so far, and am planning to make plenty more of it. Thank you so much for the recipe.
Feb 9, 2011
One of the best candy recipes I've ever tried. I've been making candy for over 45 years. This is by far the BEST. And it makes a Perfect gift for any occassion.
Jan 19, 2010
These are truly very good. Took them to an "after Easter" luncheon and even though one would think that candy would be the last thing to munch on after a Holiday...these went like wildfire.
Dec 15, 2008
I've made these every Christmas for the past 14 years. They're a big favorite with family and friends. I make the coconut balls in late October and freeze them. I coat them with chocolate when I'm ready for them in December.