Mostaccioli Beef Casserole
What's not to love in this cheesy, beefy, pasta bake? Since everything is already cooked, all you have to do is pop it in the oven for 20 minutes and let the mixture heat up and the cheese melt. -Patty Hough of Sun City, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook mostaccioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, mushrooms, chili powder, sugar, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain mostaccioli; toss with butter. Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the mostaccioli, meat sauce and cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 527 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Mostacciole Casserole in Simple & Delicious March/April 2008