Mixed Nut Brittle
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 10 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Uncover and cook until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage).
- Meanwhile, grease a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. Place nuts in two ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until warm. (Keep warm until ready to use.)
- Remove sugar mixture from the heat; carefully stir in the nuts, vanilla, salt and remaining butter. Quickly spread into prepared pan. Cool completely; break into pieces.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 278 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 1, 2015
Just read this recipe, can you explain the pan situation to me?
Jan 18, 2012
I'll try to mix another natural for this recipe,thank for idea.
Dec 21, 2009
This recipe is also delicious and one my family very badly wants to keep. It goes in our recipe box right away.