This was one of my first times spreading my wings and trying to go a bit fancy. This is a breeze to make and a delight to serve. The recipe may look intimidating but after you read it once, you'll have it down pat. —Lorraine Caland, Shuniah, Ontario
Recommended: 27 Favorite Mini Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- CARAMELIZED BANANAS:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium bananas, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup white wine or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool. Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Sift in flour; mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate mixture.
- Spoon batter into eight buttered 4-oz. ramekins dusted with cocoa. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 12-15 minutes. Run a small knife around sides of ramekins. Invert onto cooling rack; let stand 5 minutes. Remove ramekins; place cakes on individual plates.
- For bananas, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss banana slices with sugar until well coated; arrange in a single layer in skillet. Do not stir bananas until bottoms are golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown, 4-5 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Place bananas on plates with cakes.
- For sauce, heat wine and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Whisk in chocolate. Pour over cakes. Yield: 8 ramekins.
Originally published as Mini Chocolate Cakes with Caramelized Bananas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2018