- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, applesauce and oil until well blended. Beat in the milk, extracts and butter flavoring. Combine the flours, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forMakeover Almond Poppy Seed Cake
"This cake was very good for a light recipe. It is more like a quick bread than cake. It was a little drier than a full-fat quick bread, as is typical for a light dessert, but ended up more moist than I expected. I increased the almond extract to 2 teaspoons, and I just used confectioners sugar and lemon juice for the glaze. I baked it in a silicone bundt pan, and it was done after only 45 minutes. Next time I'll start checking it after 40 minutes."
"This is a great recipe and will be making this again!!"
"I tried this and thought the almond flavor wasn't strong enough. I didn't have any applesauce so used oil and no butter flavoring so threw in butter instead. It came out with good texture and taste, although, as I said it just had a hint of almond. I will make this again doubling the almond flavoring."