Low-Fat Carrot Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, buttermilk, egg whites, egg, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Fold in carrots and pineapple. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and vanilla; beat until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 263 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 15, 2016
I've baked several low fat carrot cakes and this is the best tasting and easiest to prepare of them all. I didn't have cake flour, so substituted all-purpose and it worked. I added two, not three, cups of carrots and 1/2 cup golden raisins and it was quite tasty. This is my go-to from now on.
Jan 29, 2010
This is really good. I lightened it up even further by substituting 1 cup of brown sugar Splenda in place of the 2 cups of brown sugar. Next time I will decrease the nutmeg and increase the cinnamon. But this is a personal taste preference.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.