Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in almonds. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. From the center of half the cookies, cut out a 1-1/2-in. shape.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread bottom of each solid cookie with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Sprinkle cutout cookies with confectioners' sugar; carefully place over jam.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 161 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Apr 24, 2014
Good but not what I expected. I thought these would be a light, crisp, melt-in-your-mouth cookie but found them to be hard/tough when eaten right after baking and assembling. I've baked for years and understand the need not to overmix the dough, which I did not. I stored the baked cookies in an airtight container and did find that the cookies softened up by the next day, however, the cookies still had a heavy texture. I used raspberry and blackberry preserves, which was tasty, but for all the work involved in making these cookies they are not worth making again.
Dec 27, 2013
I made these for Christmas and used a blueberry, raspberry, pomegranate spread I found at Costco. It was quite good.Field Editor since July, 2013
Dec 20, 2011
Love the taste of added raspberry jam! Delicious recipe.
Dec 5, 2009
Love these cookies! Made the batter and refrigerated. Got side tracked and never got around to baking them til several days later . . not a problem they were great! Needless to say this turned out to be a great recipe to make ahead. Next time I would let them stand outside of fridge for about 1/2 hour as when they stay in the fridge as long as they did, the batter was pretty hard. Wonderful taste & wonderful presentation!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.