- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) lemon gelatin
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- LEMON GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, gelatin, water, egg whites, applesauce, oil, lemon extract and food coloring if desired; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle about a third of glaze over cake; carefully spread evenly. Repeat with remaining glaze. Cool completely. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forLemon Cake
"I took this cake to a quilt retreat last year. Now it is a requirement for me to attend any future retreats. Really good!"
"Prepared with a gluten free yellow cake mix. Turned out like a very moist lemon bar. Wonderful!"
"I've made this twice, using 2 eggs, lemon cake mix, lemon juice and zest. Omitted lemon extract and food coloring. FANTASTIC!! Very light & refreshing."
"I have baked this cake twice. The first time, I accidentally included the lemon juice in with the cake. The result was a nice-tasting lemon cake. The second time, I followed the directions and finished the cake with the glaze. What a difference! So good, especially with fresh strawberries and a little whipped cream."
"I added strawberries. They were great!"
"Love lemon! Does anyone know if you can use a gluten free cake mix instead?"
"I used a lemon cake mix and baked this in 2-8" layer pans. I omit the lemon extract because I don't like the artificial flavour.and when adding the water, I use lemon juice for the last 2 TB of water and a heaping tsp.of lemon zest. When cooled, I spread lemon pie filling between the two layers and drizzled the glaze over the top. Lemon heaven."