Key Lime Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Beat in lime zest, juice and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and enough lime juice to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm bread. Cool completely.
- Freeze option: Do not make glaze. Securely wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and foil, then freeze. To use, thaw at room temperature. Prepare glaze as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 173 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 18, 2018
We really enjoyed this bread, so easy to make and full of flavor. Like another reviewer I added 1 cup of sour cream and also added lime zest into the icing! I will be making this often as it’s now a family favorite!
Aug 15, 2016
This bread is so amazingly like pound cake. I even forgot the walnuts and the husband didn't notice! I plan to make the frosting tonight but one loaf is already gone...Awesome recipe; highly recommended.
Dec 13, 2015
Excellent. Love this recipe.
May 6, 2015
I've tried this recipe several times ... The flavor was def there but lacked moisture in the bread ... I added 1 cup sour cream to the batter and stirred in the lime zest last .... For the frosting, I used: 1 (8oz) cream cheese, 1-1/4 c conf sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, about 3 Tblsp lime juice (adding 1 Tblsp at a time, taste, add more to achieve the sweet/tart balance) and about 1 Tblsp lime zest ........... Spread frosting liberally over the top of each loaf .............. AWESOME!
Dec 23, 2014
Delicious! Our 7 year old grandson loves this .....and helping me make it
Nov 2, 2014
This bread was delicious! I am a lover of lime and coconut so I substituted 3/4 cup flaked, sweetened coconut for the nuts. I also used the juice of 3 key limes in the cake and glaze as well as the zest of 2 key limes for each. It adds quite a kick just the way I like it!
May 31, 2014
Have this in the oven now and I added about 3/4 cup of diced fresh strawberries that needed to be used. Smells wonderful, and as others suggested, I doubled the juice/zest amounts. Also thought about adding diced fresh peaches another time. Skipped the nuts as I didn't want to take time to toast and cool them as I ALWAYS toast nuts to go in a recipe. Had I thought about it in time, I would have added a drop or two of green food coloring.WHOA! Just came out of the oven....what a KEEPER this is.......YUMMO!!! Excellent flavor and texture. Just HAD to sample it while it was still warm....didn't even bother with the glaze.
May 31, 2014
Great.....Just the way the recipe reads.
Apr 25, 2014
I used Meyer lemons from a friend's tree , increasing the zest and juice a bit. Also halved the recipe to make one loaf. Easy and delicious. One of my "keepers."
Mar 24, 2014
Great! For a change up use lemon or orange. Al ways a winner here.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.