Large, soft and chewy, these molasses cookies make a great snack. This classic recipe has a warm blend of spices that seems stronger the second day. Your family will definitely ask you to make these again.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, whisk molasses, hot water and rum. In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, ginger, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls and place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 238 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.