Jalapeno Mac and Cheese
A friend brought me a big casserole of mac and cheese along with the recipe many years ago after I had had knee surgery. Over the years, I fiddled with the recipe. Most recently, adding jalapenos at the request of my son. What an awesome spicy twist! —Teresa Gustafson, Elkton, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (about 25 crackers)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente; drain. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add jalapenos; cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker. Stir in the cheeses, milk, soups, mayonnaise and pepper.
- Cook, covered, on low until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through, 3 hours. Melt remaining butter; stir in crackers. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 428 calories, 27g fat (13g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Jalapeno Mac & Cheese in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.