Irish Spiced Beef
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 4 hours + chilling
- 1 fresh beef brisket (6 pounds)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 bay leaves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups stout or beef broth
- Optional: Rye bread, Swiss cheese slices and Dijon mustard
- Place beef in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; rub with brown sugar. Refrigerate, covered, 24 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, chopped onion, bay leaves and seasonings; rub over beef. Refrigerate, covered, 3 days, turning and rubbing salt mixture into beef once each day.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove and discard salt mixture. Place beef, onions, carrots, celery and stout in a roasting pan. Add water to come halfway up the brisket. Roast, covered, 4-4-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Cool meat in cooking juices for 1 hour.
- Remove beef; discard vegetables and cooking juices. Transfer beef to a 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with rye bread, cheese and mustard.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef (calculated without bread, cheese and mustard): 268 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 8, 2019
I'm afraid this isn't the right recipe for proper Cork Spiced Beef. I'm from Cork and this was a staple over Christmas. The ingredients and method are thus: Topside of Beef (top, bottom or outside round in America) Saltpetre (essential!) Ground Cloves Allspice Cayenne Nutmeg Cinnamon Black
Mar 28, 2016
I made this for Easter. It tasted like a cold roast. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it worth the work.