St. Paddy’s Irish Beef Dinner
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 small parsnips
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Peel potatoes and parsnips and cut into large pieces; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, tomato paste and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the peas, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain potatoes and parsnips; mash with milk, butter and the remaining salt and pepper. Serve with meat mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 369 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Apr 22, 2018
Full disclosure: I loathe shepherd’s pie. It’s a texture thing; to me, when I take a bite, it feels like somebody already chewed it. But I and my whole family love this twist on it. Rather than ground meat, I use chunks of beef or lamb like I would for stew. Other than that, I pretty much stick to the recipe, and it turns out delicious every time.
Mar 3, 2016
yummy!!! I've been looking for a recipe like this for awhile!!
Mar 19, 2014
Made this for our St. Patty's Day supper. My hubby and kids are not big cabbage fans, they didn't even know there was cabbage in it! May become a St Patrick's day tradition
Mar 17, 2014
My husband who doesn't like cabbage loved it. Nice hearty meal for a chilly night. I used low sodium beef broth. I'll make this again.
Mar 16, 2014
Oct 12, 2012
very delicious! everyone loved it!
Mar 13, 2012
This recipe was simple and very good. I will be making it again and not just for St Patty's day!!
May 31, 2011
The whole family loved this (that includes my 3 kids who are all under 5 and my picky hubby). Next time I'm doubling the recipe-- everyone wanted seconds and we ran out!
Jan 30, 2011
Made it just like the recipe and we both liked it very much. We ate it as a one-dish meal and we ate all the potatoes and there is only 1 serving of the meat mixture left and we are not really big eaters so I would increase the ingredients to serve 4.