- 6 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/3 cups 1% buttermilk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 1-1/4 cups sugar. Add lemon peel; mix well. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Transfer to a 10-in. tube pan heavily coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan and center tube to loosen. Remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice and remaining sugar. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until sugar is dissolved. Using fork, poke holes in top of cake. Cool completely. Yield: 2 dozen slices.
Reviews forHomemade Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
"We loved this! I didn't have allspice so I didn't us any other flavoring except the lemon zest. Used regular flour - it came out great. I will us a wooden skewer to poke holes next time because the closeness of the fork tines seemed to hold the syrup in those 4 places and it would separate and fall apart when you ate it. Not a big problem just maybe a hint for those that are going to make it.I love any baked goods with buttermilk. It's magic for me!Thanks bunches... love your web-site!"