VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 pounds heirloom tomatoes (about 4 medium), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 45 minutes. Pat dry.
- Meanwhile, place cheese, flour and remaining salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough cream to form moist crumbs. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Gently press bacon into dough. Bake 20-22 minutes or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, herbs and garlic powder until blended. Spread over crust. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with pepper. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until edges are golden brown and tomatoes are softened. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Heirloom Tomato Pie in Simple & Delicious June/July 2015