- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1 pound red potatoes (about 3 medium), chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan. Add potatoes, carrots and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until carrots and onion are tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add lentils and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are tender. Top each serving with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHearty Vegetable Lentil Soup
"I was looking for a nourishing, hot meal on a cold day & this recipe just looked good. So I made it. Delicious! This was a winner with my family because they liked the flavor. It was a winner with me because it was easy & quick to prepare. I have made this several times since Jan. 2017 & this recipe is one that will be made repeatedly. It's a keeper!"