Hawaiian Sunset Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package white or orange cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 3-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional coconut, toasted, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, 3-1/2 cups coconut and sour cream. Set aside 1 cup for frosting. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with a third of the remaining pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 548 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 28, 2020
I liked this cake a lot but thought the coconut/pineapple layer was a little too sweet. If I make it again, I will decrease the sugar in this layer by half. Because I couldn’t celebrate my 60th birthday with dinner out due to COVID-19, I decided to make this special cake, and it was.
Oct 2, 2014
I make this cake all of the time , it is wonderful but I add cream cheese to the pineapple mixture.
Jun 21, 2013
I baked this for a family dinner. There were just 5 of us so I had a lot left over, but I like it so much I had a piece for every meal till it was gone. Family like it to. I like the coconut and fruit filling. It really makes the cake taste like hawaiian sunset.
Aug 23, 2012
This is a very delicious cake and really simple to make. Taste all home made, no one will ever know unless you tell.
Apr 5, 2012
I took this cake to a family gathering, and it was a hit. I had someone ask me for the receipe so they could make it for their son's wedding reception...
Oct 3, 2011
Loved this recipe! So moist. Of course mine didn't look at pretty as the one in the picture lol...I to didn't let the pineapple drain enough...but I think that it let the juice get down into the cake and make it even more moist.... anywho...it was YUMMY!!!
Mar 2, 2011
This is a wonderfully moist, refreshing cake. Make sure to drain the pineapple well so that the icing isn't too "soupy".
Jan 3, 2011
I used an orange cake mix and I think I would use a white cake next time. It was a little to rich for my husband and I, but everyone that I gave the cake to loved it. At first I thought that the sugar was confectionery sugar until I looked at the reviews and seen that someone would use Splenda, which meant it was regular sugar. I think I would make that clear in the recipe. Great cake for a party.
Jun 19, 2010
this cake is great
Feb 21, 2010
With an interest in shaving the calorie content, the next time I make this, I am going to substitute with fat free milk, sugar free gelatin & pudding mix, Splenda, light sour cream, and fat-free topping...in other words, I'll substitute whatever I can in hopes of cutting those calories. I hope it will still be taste worthy! I've done this with other recipes with a lot of success.