Coastal Coconut Cream Cake
This is my son's county fair cake. He was awarded a top-10 prize and auctioned his coconut cream cake off for big bucks! —Amy Freeze, Avon Park, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coconut milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in cream of coconut and shredded coconut.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in pineapple and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening, butter, meringue powder, extract, salt and enough coconut milk to reach desired consistency.
- To assemble cake, using a long serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Gently press toasted coconut into frosting on sides of cake. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.