- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple or unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat oils over medium-high heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, pepper and gingerroot; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add water. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients; cook and stir over medium-high heat until heated through, about 2 minutes. Top servings with cilantro and, if desired, chopped macadamia nuts.
3/4 cup: 158 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.