Grilled Wing Zingers
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Grill: 35 min.
Makesabout 6-1/2 dozen
- 8 pounds chicken wings
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup blue cheese salad dressing
- 1/2 cup ranch salad dressing
- Celery sticks
- Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip sections. Set wings aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar, hot sauce, butter and vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until butter is melted and sauce is heated through. Cool.
- In a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, combine sugar and seasonings. Add chicken wings in batches; seal bag and toss to coat evenly.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear, turning and basting occasionally with sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine blue cheese and ranch salad dressing; serve with chicken wings and celery sticks.
Editor's NoteUncooked chicken wing sections (wingettes) may be substituted for whole chicken wings.
This recipe was prepared with the first and second sections of the chicken wings.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 96 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
May 6, 2018
Absolutely fantastic recipe!!! We do make the wings, but, our go to now is to use this recipe with boneless chicken breast. I can't have my chicken any other way now. It's a favorite whenever we have people over to grill out, we never have enough.
Jun 14, 2016
Magazine directions are slightly different: It calls for 1/4 c sugar and you are to add 1 cup sauce to dry ingredients, mix well then add chicken. Grill wings over indirect medium heat for 12-15 min or until juices run clear. Turn once and baste with remaining sauceThis isn't the first time the online recipe has differed from the magazine recipe and in a fairly significant way. Disappointing but love the original recipe
Nov 6, 2014
My husband loves these wings and requests them often! I cut back on the rosemary, cayenne pepper and chili powder some.
Aug 1, 2013
Excellent recipe!! I made 16 lbs for a summer party and they were all gone. BTW, I cooked them in the oven because there were too many other things on the grill that afternoon.
Jan 17, 2012
A great recipe for people who love Hot Wings.
Jan 16, 2012
This recipe is definitely my "go to" recipe for wings.I have dubbed these my "pantry wings" because of the number of different ingredients in them. They are labor intensive, but very worth it.I have mixed a 5x batch of the dry ingredients to have at the ready. Really saves time. I get requests for these wings ALL the time. They have never failed to WOW even the most discerning "wing heads"
Oct 22, 2011
Lots of flavor, my go to recipe for outstanding wings.
Feb 27, 2011
Since it was terribly cold, I placed the wings on a cooling rack placed inside a sheet cake pan and baked at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and basting. They were absolutely HOT! And the are worth it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.