Easy Pork Posole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cubed
- 1/2 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, sliced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Optional ingredients: corn tortillas, additional chopped onion, minced fresh cilantro and lime wedges
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork and sausage; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, hominy, cilantro, onion, green onions, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cayenne and pepper. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. If desired, serve with tortillas, additional onion, cilantro and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tips
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 190 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 957mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 18, 2019
If I could give this recipe six stars, I would! It was absolutely delicious, and spiced just right. I did make a few small changes: I increased the boneless picnic ham to 3/4 of a pound, used two cans of hominy, and added chopped radishes to the optional toppings. Served with sliced avocados, blue corn chips, and mango salsa, it made for a hearty, satisfying meal which our family thoroughly enjoyed.