Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place flour in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle with water; toss with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. On greased baking sheets, press each portion into 12x3-in. rectangle.
- For topping, in a saucepan, heat butter and water to a rolling boil. Add flour and salt all at once and beat until blended. Cook over low heat, stirring vigorously until mixture pulls away from sides of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until smooth. Add extract; continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Spread half of the mixture over each rectangle.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour. Cool on pans 10 minutes.
- Mix first four icing ingredients until smooth; spread over warm pastries. Sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 247 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 11, 2018
Very, very good and simple to make and not time consuming at all. I did not toast almonds and made a simple glaze without the butter.
Dec 24, 2015
Perfect for Sunday breakfast - this recipe was easy-to-make and the puff tastes delicious! I added one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the filling in addition to the almond extract and that turned out great!
Aug 7, 2013
My mother used to make this for company and it was always a hit. It's simple to make, but takes some time, so plan ahead.
Sep 24, 2012
If I make this the evening beforee it is needed how do i refriegerate is so it will be just as good?
Mar 15, 2012
This is the best. I have made this for over 40 years and it is always popular. Great to take to a food auction, give to a bereaved family and we always have this for Christmas morning.