You definitely need a knife and fork to dig into these piled-high burgers. They make a tasty luncheon meal. - Ruby Berry, Brandenton, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup prepared coleslaw salad dressing
- 4 thick slices bread, toasted
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices onion
- 8 slices unpeeled cucumber
- 4 slices dill pickle
- 4 pitted jumbo ripe olives
- 1/4 cup salad dressing of your choice, optional
- Shape beef into four patties. Broil 4 in. from the heat or cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear; drain.
- Spread coleslaw dressing over bread. Top each slice with a beef patty, bacon, cheese, tomato, onion, two cucumber slices, pickle and olive. Secure with a toothpick. Serve with additional salad dressing if desired.
Vary the flavor of Dagwood Burgers by combining different salad dressings and cheese. For instance, pair Thousand Island with Swiss, ranch with American or creamy Italian with mozzarella.
Originally published as Dagwood Burgers in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book