Curried Fried Rice with Pineapple
This is a special fried rice popular in Thai restaurants and called Khao Pad. It has a bit of heat a little sweetness and some crunch. —Joanna Yuen, San Jose, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup lightly salted cashews
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; add eggs. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are completely cooked, remove to a plate and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry onion and shallots in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, pineapple, cashews, peas, cilantro, raisins, broth, fish sauce, curry, sugar and pepper flakes; heat through. Chop egg into small pieces; add to rice mixture.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 286 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Thai Pineapple Fried Rice in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.