Curried Fried Rice with Pineapple
This is a special fried rice popular in Thai restaurants and called Khao Pad. It has a bit of heat a little sweetness and some crunch. —Joanna Yuen, San Jose, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) DOLE unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup lightly salted cashews
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; add eggs. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. When eggs are completely cooked, remove to a plate and keep warm.
- In the same pan, stir-fry onion and shallots in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, pineapple, cashews, peas, cilantro, raisins, broth, fish sauce, curry, sugar and pepper flakes; heat through. Chop egg into small pieces; add to rice mixture.