Cupcake Easter Baskets
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Red shoestring licorice
- Jelly beans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar; spread over cupcakes. Combine water and food coloring in a large bowl; add coconut. Stir to coat. Sprinkle over cupcakes.
- Using a metal or wooden skewer, poke a hole in the top on opposite sides of each cupcake. Cut licorice into 6-in. strips for handles; insert each end into a hole. Decorate with jelly beans.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 351 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 4, 2015
Very cute! Due to food allergies, I had to use a different cupcake and frosting recipe but followed the directions to make them look like a basket. Everyone loved them.
Apr 17, 2014
I did not have a positive experience with the frosting. Though it tasted very good, it was extremely runny and despite adding volumes of powdered sugar, unfortunately ended up having to throw it away. Thus, I used prepared frosting. I may have caused this problem by using fat free cream cheese and margarine instead of butter in an effort to reduce fat and make more healthy. Also since I was taking this for a church activity, I used a Funfetti Cake Mix and added the orange zest for moisture and flavor. I decorated the cupcakes just as advised, (excluding the shoe string licorice which I could not find). i also needed more coconut then it called for. I used miniature jelly bellys instead of full size jelly beans. They look absolutely adorable when decorated, and assume they will be tasty. This was a very cute and clever way to dress up a cupcake!
Mar 30, 2013
Wonderful recipe! Very thick batter-just beware of that while baking and spooning into pan. I added orange zest to kick it up a notch in the frosting. For the life of me, I could not get the shoestring licorice to stand up, so I just left it out. They still look great without it! This is now one of my favorite base cupcake batters.
Mar 16, 2013
They are delicious without the cheese filling things and i decorated the same as you but i made normal cupcakes wiht the decor!!.Awesome recipe!!
Apr 25, 2011
very cute, very delicious! i doubled the cupcake recipe and made about 40 cupcakes. i did not double the frosting recipe because of what other raters said about there being enough... and even though i had double the cupcakes there was leftover frosting.on taste, the cupcake was delicious! it went with the frosting, coconut, and jelly beans perfectly! the frosting was better than my old vanilla buttercream recipe.and on looks, it was very cute. easy too assemble, except the handle was a little tricky but it worked. and everybody loved it! 5/5
Apr 11, 2011
I made these with my four year old son and we LOVED making them. I just used a store bought cake mix, but did make the frosting and it was so good with it! I cut the frosting recipe in 1/2 also and had enought to frost 24 cupecakes! Thanks for this FUN recipe!
Apr 7, 2011
I think your receipe is cute and easy to make. Eighty-six's comments are rude and unnesscary. Thank you for sharing it with everyone.
Mar 28, 2010
it was grate.
Mar 22, 2010
For many years I have been making my original version of Easter Basket Cupcakes which are prettier and easier to make.
Mar 22, 2010
These cupcake easter baskets are so sweet and so easy to make, they're a keeper for sure. I have grandchildren and every one of them looks forward to seeing me at Easter as they know they'll get these cupcakes.