- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 11x7-in. dish with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil gently, without stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Immediately pour into prepared dish (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- Using foil, lift out candy; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1x3/4-in. pieces. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds (80 pieces).
Reviews forCreamy Orange Caramels
"These were fabulous!! Soft and creamy, not one bit grainy. I used a little more orange extract than called for, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. I dipped some of the caramels in chocolate. My guests loved them. I will surely be making these again!"
"The best caramels ever!!! Soft and chewy and absolutely delicious!"
"Never made caramels before and don't think I will ever try another recipe...this is the best! They were a big hit and make the perfect gift! Delicious!!!!"