Corn Medley Salad
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole baby corn, rinsed and drained, halved
- 1 can (11 ounces) yellow and white whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (7 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, sliced
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and oil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the corn, red pepper, onion and celery. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir well. Serve with a slotted spoon in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 233 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 8, 2014
Excellent recipe! To make the salad a little more hearty I replace the baby corn with a can of black beans. The great thing about this recipe is it is easily adaptable to any taste. The addition of chili powder makes it great for along side mexican entrees.
Jul 2, 2012
In response to Claireburmo, around here, baby corn is considered a "weird" food in salad--especially for kids. They think it's weird to be eating the cob or something. Can't blame them really when you're used to eating sweet corn--and leaving the cob as trash!
Aug 26, 2011
My husband loved this dish...I will definitely make it again.
Sep 10, 2010
Delicious! I made it for a large family gathering. I took home an empty bowl. I probably will increase the cider vinegar to a 1 cup the next time to give it a little more tangy taste,
Jul 27, 2009
I substituted a can of regular corn for the whole baby corn like cookbookmom, and it was very good. My husband and mother-in-law loved it.
Jun 25, 2009
I made this for our church picnic and it got rave reviews and requests for the recipe. I've made it a couple times since, and it disappears.
Nov 24, 2008
I hope this recipe is as great as everyone says - I'm going to take it to my mother-in-laws for Thanksgiving. Also, why on earth would baby corn make anyone "squeamish"? Just curious.
Jun 22, 2008
I took to a women's luncheon and it was a huge hit especially with the only man that was there! He asked me to leave the rest for him.
Jun 20, 2008
I substitute another can of yellow corn for the whole baby corn--some people are squeamish about eating those--and it still works out perfectly.
Jan 11, 2008
This was a HIT at a family pot luck.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.