Corn and Spinach Salad
As a child, I loved the combination of fresh spinach, crunchy nuts, a good tangy cheese and red onions. I would search different restaurants to discover how chefs prepared such a special salad. Here is my own creation.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (1/2 cup dressing)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small heavy skillet, cook walnuts over medium heat until toasted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and vinegar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, red pepper, onion, corn, cheese and cranberries; sprinkle with walnuts. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Serve with salad.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 341 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Corn and Spinach Salad in Country October/November 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.