Contest-Winning Rhubarb Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 45 min.
- 8 slices bread, lightly toasted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Remove crusts from bread; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from the heat. Stir in butter until melted. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon and salt; stir into bread mixture. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until set. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Jul 3, 2019
my husband and I just love this we have it a lot great recipe.
May 6, 2010
This is a wonderful pudding my family loved iti will make again very soon :)
May 6, 2010
I tried this recipe for our weekly bible study get-together and it was fabulous. I actually used left over hot dog buns and served it room temp. A definite make again, especially with my family. No left-overs! One thing though, it says to put in a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish, but I used a 2 qt. and it was up to the top. No room to spare.
Sep 13, 2009
I used Cinnamon Swirl bread and it turned out so yummy. My family loved this recipe.