Colony Mountain Chili
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 Italian sausage links, casings removed and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and sausage in 1 tablespoon oil; drain. Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion and green onions in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, dissolve bouillon in water. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings until blended; add to slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours or until the meat is tender. Serve with cheese if desired.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2019
Best chili I’ve ever had!!!
Jan 2, 2019
This chili is amazing! My family loves it. It's better when you use the cut-up sirloin steak, but I've substituted lean ground beef in a pinch and it's still excellent. Highly recommend.
Jan 4, 2015
Just added this to my list of recipes, but had marked it in Oct/Nov 2004 Taste of Home Magazine as Very Good to Excellent. Guess I need to make again to refresh m memory.
Oct 28, 2014
Best chili I have ever had in my life! Will make this again and again and again....
Oct 6, 2014
This is basically the same way I make chili, but I've never written it down. I find that the slow cooker melds the flavors much better than stove top! Good job!!
Mar 23, 2013
I've won 3 out of 3 annual chili cookoffs with variations on this recipe (I vary it each year). It's the best "base recipe" I've found. The sirloin really make it stand out from most entrants.
Jan 31, 2013
Used leftovers to stuff tortillas for Red Chili Burritos. My family LOVED them. Excellent recipe!
Jan 17, 2013
I love this chili! I had been looking to try a recipe that uses beef cubes...my husband kept insisting chili needed ground beef. But after trying this, we all loved it! The first time I made it, I did as suggested with the sausage links, but found it seemed to soupy. Now I cut the sausage out of the casings and brown like I would ground beef. This recipe is a winner!
Nov 14, 2011
My husband made this recipe for a chili cook-off several years ago & won 1st place. He's made it 3 times since, & wins every time. This is a great "man" chili w/ lots of meat & spice.
Nov 6, 2011
This is my go to recipe for chili. I've made it again and again, everyone loves it. I too have made small changes (ie. meat, types of beans) but the end result is so good. Never change the seasonings I think it is what makes it. It fills my slow cooker and makes a lot. Be sure to let it cook long enough to develop flavor and that thick delicious chili consistency. Thank you for this wonderful recipe.