We love hazelnut flavor and cookies that aren’t too sweet, so this recipe is perfect for us! If you like your cookies on the sweeter side, bake up these crisp beauties and slather some Nutella between two to create an extra-special sandwich cookie. —Karla Johnson, East Helena, Montana
Recommended: The Best Cookies for Dunking
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, Nutella and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Add hazelnuts; mix well.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a disk. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/4-in. scalloped round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are light brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017