Chocolate Shortbread Trees
You can use this rollout chocolate cookie dough to create all kinds of shapes and sizes, but I like to make trees because they are so easy to decorate. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- Assorted nonpareils, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/4-in. tree-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with nonpareils.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 81 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.