"My mother-in-law used to send these moist bars to my husband when he was in the Army," relates field editor Pat Walter of Pine Island, Minnesota.
Recommended: Easy Candy Recipes That Make the Holidays Sweeter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a small bowl, combine dates and water; set aside to cool (do not drain). In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually added to creamed mixture. Stir in dates.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 24 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Date Squares in Taste of Home February/March 1995, p67
Reviews forChocolate Date Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2010
"good good good"