Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies
Mandelbrot in Yiddish literally means “almond bread.” The twice-baked cookie made with oil and almonds dates back to 19th century Eastern Europe. There are many variations made of different dried fruits and nuts. My chocolate chip version is more modern-American. —Kimberly Scott, Kosciusko, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Whisk eggs and 1 cup sugar until well blended. Add oil, orange zest and extract; whisk until smooth. In another bowl, whisk flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into orange mixture. Stir in almonds and chocolate chips. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using lightly oiled hands, divide dough into four portions. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, shape two portions into 7x4-in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake until tops are golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on pans on wire racks until cool enough to handle. Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down on baking sheets. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over slices. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 127 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies in Ultimate Cookie Swap Bookazine 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.