Chocolate Chip Mandelbrot Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unblanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Whisk eggs and 1 cup sugar until well blended. Add oil, orange zest and extract; whisk until smooth. In another bowl, whisk flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into orange mixture. Stir in almonds and chocolate chips. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using lightly oiled hands, divide dough into 4 portions. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, shape 2 portions into 7x4-in. rectangles. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake until tops are golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on pans on wire racks until cool enough to handle. Transfer baked rectangles to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down on baking sheets. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over slices. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 127 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 17, 2019
Loved these! They have a great texture, and the subtle orange flavor from the zest goes nicely with the almonds and chocolate.
Dec 31, 2018
Can I substitute the almonds I’m allergic to almonds I’m putting anise flavor instead of the almond thanks for a great recipe