- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs, chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChive Crab Cakes
"The recipe is very easy to make and quick to fry. I think that it could use a boost in flavor, but since I'm a novice cook I don't know what I will add. Right now, it's just my fiance and myself so the recipe allows for leftovers. I also used imitation crab meat. I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a quick meal with decent appeal."
"Beat the single egg until the white and yolk are mixed. Measure and use half. Yolks can be used in Creme Brulee."
"I would like to cut this recipe in half but not sure how to divide up the eggs?"