Crab Cakes with Red Chili Mayo
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes2 dozen (1 cup sauce)
- 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped celery, red onion and sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce and 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 cup reserved mayonnaise mixture and remaining lemon juice. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining mayonnaise mixture for sauce.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by 2 tablespoonfuls into flour. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties in remaining oil in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with reserved sauce.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 16, 2014
Very good. This was my 1st attempt at making crab cakes. Will do again.
May 17, 2014
This was my first time making crab cakes and this recipe came out perfect! I served them on slider rolls and put the mayo right on the sliders. They came out really nice looking too and I am not usually good at making recipes look like the picture.
Feb 28, 2014
These were terrific, although I omitted the jalapeno peppers to suit our tastes.
Jul 25, 2011
Loved this recipe. The Red Chili Mayo really adds the zing.
Mar 19, 2011
Excellent! I love the spicy touch. I added some of the chili sauce to the crab cakes themselves, which meant I also needed to add a little more bread crumbs. I also will make a little more of the mayo so it will go a little farther. Thanks for the great recipe!
Mar 6, 2011
This recipe is very good but lacks horseradish sauce. The next time i make it I'll add about 1 tsp to the sauce.
Feb 19, 2011
delicious. I made these for a dinner party and my guest raved about them. These were gone in a flash.
Jan 13, 2010
This recipe is delicious but one I will not make if my third son is home, as he is deathly allergic to seafood. The rest of my family loves it and we'll be making it many more times.
Jan 31, 2009
I made this for a brunch, and everyone loved them. The chili mayo is excellent, however, I doubled the Thai chili sauce for an added zing...Excellent
Jan 19, 2009
This recipe is absolutely delicious. I made them in small cakes for an appetizer. The red chili mayo makes the crab cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.