- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- SHRIMP CORN CAKES:
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1 tablespoon oil plus additional for frying, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Cover and chill until serving.
- In a large cast-iron or heavy skillet, cook and stir onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turns pink. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix the corn, egg and shrimp mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Wipe cast iron skillet clean with paper towels; heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. In batches, drop corn mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil; fry until golden brown, 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce.
1 corn cake with 1 teaspoon sauce: 109 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.