Chive Crab Cakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min./batch
Makes12 crab cakes
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, divided
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs, chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 crab cake: 119 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2017
This is great to use as an appetizer. I added some garlic to the mix, too. Make sure you refrigerate the mixture so it will hold together when cooking.
Feb 2, 2013
The recipe is very easy to make and quick to fry. I think that it could use a boost in flavor, but since I'm a novice cook I don't know what I will add. Right now, it's just my fiance and myself so the recipe allows for leftovers. I also used imitation crab meat. I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking for a quick meal with decent appeal.
Feb 26, 2009
Beat the single egg until the white and yolk are mixed. Measure and use half. Yolks can be used in Creme Brulee.
Jan 29, 2009
I would like to cut this recipe in half but not sure how to divide up the eggs?