This gorgeous galette takes traditional chicken potpie and gives it a fun open-faced spin. The rich filling and flaky cheddar-flecked crust makes it taste so homey. —Elisabeth Larsen, Pleasant Grove, Utah
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups julienned Swiss chard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Combine flour, cheese, thyme and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; refrigerate 1 hour.
- For filling, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until slightly softened, 5-7 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3 minutes longer. Add Swiss chard and garlic; cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together broth, flour, salt and pepper; slowly pour over vegetables, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chicken and oregano.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll dough into a 12-in. circle. Transfer to a baking sheet. Spoon filling over pastry to within 2 in. of edge. Fold pastry edge over filling, pleating as you go, leaving center uncovered. Bake on a lower oven rack until crust is golden brown and filling bubbly, 30-35 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Potpie Galette in Taste of Home April/May 2018