- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until browned, about 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; saute rice until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in beans, canned tomatoes, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Place chicken on top (do not stir into rice). Simmer, covered, until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Top with tomato and green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forChicken Burrito Skillet
"Very good, however, if not on a salt restricted diet I would definetly add some salt or use regular chicken broth instead of reduced-sodium. Since I like onions in a recipe like this I added 1/2 medium diced onion and cooked in pan while browning the rice. This was a quick and easy recipe that I will make again. I will also try this recipe with ground beef instead of chicken."
"It was okay. I added some re fried beans and it perked it up."