Chicken and Beef Brunswick Stew
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makesabout 8 quarts (25-30 servings)
- 4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen butter beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- In a large stockpot, saute onions in butter until tender. Add chicken and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and dice meat. Skim fat from broth; return chicken to broth.
- Stir in the next 14 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Stir in potatoes; heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 244 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 13, 2011
I make this fron an old recipe that's been in the family . There are some differences thou . I use pork in mine by cooking a Boston butt and shredding it or a boneless pork loin . I also cube the potatoes instead of mashing . I usually have about 24 quarts when I get finished . Me extended family has gotten this recipe from me and everyone loves it , even the grandkids and great grand kids .