Chicken and Beef Brunswick Stew
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makesabout 8 quarts (25-30 servings)
- 4 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1-3/4 cups ketchup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen butter beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn
- 6 cups hot mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- In a large stockpot, saute onions in butter until tender. Add chicken and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and dice meat. Skim fat from broth; return chicken to broth.
- Stir in the next 14 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Stir in potatoes; heat through.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 244 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 800mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Mar 13, 2011
I make this fron an old recipe that's been in the family . There are some differences thou . I use pork in mine by cooking a Boston butt and shredding it or a boneless pork loin . I also cube the potatoes instead of mashing . I usually have about 24 quarts when I get finished . Me extended family has gotten this recipe from me and everyone loves it , even the grandkids and great grand kids .