My children absolutely love this rich, zippy soup. They have just one complaint - it seems I never make a big enough batch to suit them!
Recommended: 75 Delicious Ways to Eat Corn on (and off) the Cob
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, mustard, paprika, salt, pepper flakes and pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk; cook and stir until soup comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheddar Corn Chowder in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2007, p48
Reviews forCheddar Corn Chowder
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review